Sunday 2 November 2014

Review: Mars Caramel (limited edition)

If I had to pick a favourite chocolate bar, I'd probably pick the Mars bar. Why? Because of the caramel! There's plenty of it, and there are no crunchy nuts or crispy cookies messing it up – not that I don't like those, but when I want the best, it's the smooth, simple combination of chocolate, caramel and nougat that I always go for. And did I mention the caramel?

So imagine my excitement upon learning that there was a special edition of Mars bar, called “Caramel”! I had to try that, but didn't manage to find it anywhere, until my dear husband finally hunted down a few specimens. (Apparently the bar isn't exactly new, but was launched a couple of years ago – but I don't remember ever seeing it in Finland until now.)

Nothing special about the wrapping, it has the familiar Mars logo/text on it and plenty of orange (because of the caramel? Possibly.). Now, the bar has been shaped differently: it's thinner than the regular Mars bar! This is disappointing; I like my bars thick and... well, I'm unable to think of an adjective that wouldn't make that phrase dirty so let's leave it at that.

The thinness is explained by the fact that the bar consist of just chocolate and caramel, meaning that there is no nougat layer. The chocolate coating is the same milk chocolate as in the regular Mars bar – perhaps not exactly exciting, but tasty and reliable (you know what you're going to get). I suspect the caramel is also of the same kind, or at least very similar. There is a thicker layer of it, or rather, the entire filling is made of it. I am a huge caramel fan, so I can't view this as a bad thing. It's sweet, sticky, yummy, and has a nice consistency (not too thin and runny). Since the bar is, in essence, chocolate coated caramel, it is very, very sweet, but that is something one expects from a Mars bar.

If you love caramel, you'll probably find this delicious. I definitely enjoyed this limited edition treat, and I always find these variations on a theme interesting. Still, it is the classic Mars bar that remains my favourite.

No comments:

Post a Comment