Wednesday 3 February 2016

Review: Snickers & Hazelnut Limited Edition



Well, it appears that this limited edition Snickers wasn’t something entirely new, but it was only last week that I happened to see it in a grocery store! Where has it been hiding from me? Never mind, I caught it now, and it’s mine... mine...

Ahem. Right. Snickers has never been my favourite chocolate bar (Mars still holds that place), but I’ve come to appreciate it more and more, and it’s usually my go-to bar if I want something not just very sweet but slightly salty. It’s a good, solid choice and something of a classic – and, well, chocolate, caramel and peanuts, what’s not to love?

But what’s different now?

Let’s look at the wrapping first. There’s a lot of bright green, but the familiar font immediately makes the bar recognisable. If you look at the ingredients, you’ll find that the bar still contains peanuts. In fact, peanuts make up 17 % of the bar while hazelnuts only represent 5.6 %.

The scent is familiar; the sweet, nutty scent of Snickers. I cannot say for sure if there’s any difference between this and the scent of the orinigal Snickers (note to self: next time when reviewing limited editions, purchase one of the originals as well... just for comparison purposes, naturally! ;)).

The taste, then. There’s the familiar milk chocolate; very sweet but good, and the soft creamy nougat. Under the chocolate coating is a thick layer of caramel with nuts. I would prefer more caramel and less nuts, but then, I always want more caramel. The nuts come in small pieces and peanuts still dominate the taste. The hazelnut flavour is rather subtle, a little toasty and just slightly dry, but not very noticeable.

All in all, I did not find this version remarkably different from the original. Still, it’s a nice if subtle twist to the regular Snickers, and, just like the original, a delicious combination of sweetness and saltiness, smoothness and crunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment