Monday 7 September 2015

Treasure Hunting, or, Reading quirks, Part 8

Well, this is not so much a reading quirk as just a quirk, but it is related to books, so...


Last weekend, my DH and I celebrated our 15th engagement anniversary (the actual day is September 9, but it was just more convenient to celebrate during the weekend). And what did we do? Our favourite thing: we drove to the capital to visit our favourite bookstore and our favourite Indian restaurant! I know. It doesn’t get much geekier than that. Except maybe those times we’ve visited The National Museum and their history collection instead of the bookstore...

And we were really, really lucky, for in the bookstore we found several huge discount tables packed with paperbacks... and the prices were crazy, like one or two Euros! After inspecting the history section, we pretty much forgot everything else and started browsing the discount tables. At some point, my DH remarked that we’d been at it for about an hour and it seemed impossible – I’d have said it had been maybe ten minutes. By that time, I had an armful of books, but I was able to show an admirable amount of self-restraint and bought only two. My DH also bought two books (but they both seem rather tempting to me too...), so in the end we bought four books for only eight Euros! Over the delicious Indian meal, we could hardly stop congratulating each other, we were so pleased with the bargain.

If you’ve connected with me in Facebook, you’ve already seen this... but it seemed to me that an illustration was needed.

 
I’m not much of a shopper (which probably explains why I have clothes that are over 20 years old... how soon can I call them vintage? :P), but books are another matter entirely. Buying books is always fun... and finding bargain books is a real thrill! The same thing happens every time our local library organises a book sale. We go there like we’re hunting for treasure – you never know what you might find! And when we discover something interesting, it makes us ridiculously happy. Our bookshelves don’t agree though...

4 comments:

  1. Hi Ulla,

    congratulations, first of all on your anniversary tomorrow - best wishes and many many more - and of course also on your bargain finds!
    I admire your restraint in face of all those wonderful bargain books... four between the two of you sounds almost, well, dare I say it, reasonable ;) :P. But yes, bookshelf space is fiercely contested in these parts, too - so that definitely helps with being reasonable. (Psst... and also, e-readers and e-books don't take up that much space *cough,cough*)
    Anyway - happy for you both, hope you have a lot of reading time!
    Best wishes,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy!

      Thank you! :) Yes, considering the prices of those books, we were very reasonable indeed. ;)

      You're absolutely right about e-books. Without them... well, I dare not even think of what would have happened to our bookcases by now. :/ I've been meaning to write a post about that (well, e-readers in general). Maybe one of these days I will.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations for this day! :) My boyfriend and I are very similar to you, we absolutely love going "book shopping" together, still we never found those wonderfully cheap sales anywhere ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Varicoloured! :)

      Ah, it's wonderful that you and your boyfriend both love books. It's great to have shared interests. :) Yes, the sale was awesome, but also a little bit dangerous... so many tempting books... ;)

      Delete